Holy crap. Holy wow. Holy Sweet Potato, you make my mouth water?
One of my favourite foods and must-haves is Sweet potato.. especially as chips, baked and stuffed with cauliflower coleslaw, baked until its caramel and sweet, as gnocchi and right now, IN BROWNIES!
I have to admit the first time I ever tried cooking these I danced and boogied (and maybe twerked like queen b) my way around the kitchen in shock that 1) they turned out just how I wanted them to 2) they weren’t burnt 3) i hadn’t eaten half the mixture before it went into the oven! 4) i made a dessert completely vegan, gluten, dairy and refined sugar free!
Now on the second try? I just wait until their cooked and then eat half the mixture. Hehe, kidding. Just kidding. But seriously, these brownies are the fudgiest, incredibly addictive, softest, melt-in-your-mouth chocolatey brownies your taste buds will ever by tantalized by….
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 5cm circles, skin on for extra fibre
- 1 Cup (20) medjool dates, pitted
- 1 Cup almond (or hazelnut) meal
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup arrowroot flour (gluten free flour replacement)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
How to make:
- Line a baking 30 x 20cm baking tray (standard) with baking paper and pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut sweet potato into 5cm circles and place into a steamer until very soft (20 mins). You want the potato to look a dark orange and be soft enough to mash.
- Add sweet potato, medjool dates, cacao into a high-powered food processor and blend until combined enough to resemble a smooth appearance.
- Add almond meal, arrowroot flour and coconut and blend until all ingredients are completely mixed through. At this stage the mixture should be smooth and thick. If its a little sticky, add a tablespoon of almond meal until you you’re happy with the consistency.
- Scoop mixture into baking tray and using the back of a spoon or pressing firmly with your palms, smooth and even out . Its important to make sure the brownie mixture is even otherwise you will end up with different thickness.
- Place in oven for 15- 20 minutes and when soft and spongy, remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before slicing into squares.
Also try with: A layer of chocolate icing – melt 1/2 cup coconut oil + 1 tbsp cacao, pour on top and place in freezer for 6 minute to set.
ENJOY and let me know what you think and how you go, if you plan on making these! 🙂
– Love, Kaelli